Friday, September 28, 2012

Am I a sleuth?


Not too long ago, there was a murder in the area, where a woman was abducted from a public event and later found in an outlying county in a shallow grave. Reading the updates on the case, I couldn't help but notice the comment section and how one comment in particular referred to her being in a shallow grave prior to the discovery of her remains.
The lonesome road
I panicked. Fear slammed into me like an iron fist. I lost all sense of how to breathe, let alone think.
Could it be that the killer was trying to leave a message for the police? Playing a zodiac like game in hopes of media attention and ... What else? Should I call the FBI and let them know what I found? Did it even make sense? Was it a serial killer passing through or one looking to stay?
A serial killer is an individual that has killed two or more individuals with a cooling off period in-between murders, and should not be confused with a mass murderer. The key difference between the two is of course the cooling down period.
Some serial killers, as those of any of serial crime, like to play mind games with officers. It is not only about the completion of the crime but the exhilaration they experience by their perceived mental triumph - I call it the naa naa naa naaaa moment (stick out your tongue and then you know what I am referring to); it is the moment where the perpetrator is sticking up his middle finger and saying catch me if you can. The game has thus begun.
A seat for two.
We know that there are neither perfect crimes nor perfect people committing them. The evidence is often in the details and can be as minuscule as a piece of hair, partial finger print or as large as eye witness testimony placing someone at the scene. Usually by figuring out what transpired, the circle can be tightened and if there is a connection between the crime and the perpetrator this is when it can be found. In fact, the key to solving a crime is finding the thread of truth in the details. For any lie to work, there must be a measure of truth in it. 
Back to my story: I mulled over calling the police and FBI all day; I even spoke with the attorneys in the office and showed them my googled evidence. It amounted to nothing they said and told me to leave it alone. I didn't call but I often wonder if the clues to the killer's true identity was in those comments, but I pray I never find out. 
Should you believe that you have information that may help in the solving of a crime, don't be like me and over think it; instead please contact your local law enforcement or the FBI.

______________

About Tina: I am the author of THOU SHALL NOT. I love creating three dimensional characters and am always looking for new people to kill…in my stories.
Check out my author's  blog at TinaGlasneck.com and my book is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You can also connect with me on Facebook and on Twitter.










2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing, Tina! I probably wouldn't have called either, but I'd probably always wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hope that I was wrong! I'd hate to think that something so simple as a clue in a comment page on an article was indeed that small piece needed to crack the case. Okay, I think I've watched and read too many police procedurals. :)

    ReplyDelete