Friday, March 8, 2013

Murder and Murderers Among Us

Murder follows me everywhere!

Thanks for stopping by and welcome to Murderer's Market, and I'm your host, Tina Glasneck. For new readers, please note that this blog is composed of 9 different authors, representing different genres and writing styles. I write suspense and my books have a high body count.

Today, my topic is murder and the murderers among us.

Murder has existed almost as long as man-kinds’ existence. We’ve killed in the name of love and hate; for food and to avoid famine; we’ve killed because of misplaced honor and now, besides pestilence, disease, hunger and poverty, we also have to still be weary of one another – under the surface of our survival, is the killer. The instinct that snaps necks, breaks bones and wants nothing more than to dance in a pool of their victim’s blood.

When it comes to criminal investigation, the evidence, like a trail of blood leads to the suspect, but still a motivation is constantly sought – to show if the crime was random or more planned; where a motivation can be discerned, then it is also easier to track down the culprit. Please understand, with the theory of seven degrees of separation, police always look at the immediate circle of the victim, because that is where most of the perpetrators will be. Who knew that murders are done by friends, family and lovers? You are more likely to die at the hands of someone you know than a complete stranger.

But then, you have the stranger who is seeking a thrill; the “born” killer, who wishes nothing more than to feel something. It is something that has ballooned within them, vibrations running through their bodies, seeking a release that others could never fathom. It is not death, but power. Recognition. And worse, it is most likely undetected.

Unfortunately, people don’t ride around with signs around their necks, revealing their intentions (although that would be a great tool for technology to come up with). Instead, their internal workings can only be deciphered by their actions. How many ticking time bombs are out there in need of diffusing? How many have we made through bullying and a lack of self-expression? How many are living in their fantasy worlds and wish to become something in this reality?

The darkness woos me like a long lost lover, inviting me deeper into its depths. It’s amplified like sound in a bullhorn, forever surrounding, luring me deeper into its depths.

I feel its warm hand at the base of my skull, leading me, until ….

It doesn’t take much for thoughts to become actions, at least that is the fear someone recently voiced to me, while I was plotting my current WIP (work in progress).  That the thoughts we have can take over, creating a world where someone like me suddenly becomes like a character of my creation.
Hearing that, I couldn’t help but think that such was ludicrous. What I create is fiction, that was until I dug deeper…

I am the author of THOU SHALL NOT, a mystery and suspense with romantic elements available in all formats at Smashwords and also available on Amazon. My goal is to provide my readers with tales filled with murder, mystery, suspense and romance, highlighting that an absolute good or evil does not exist.

"The ending was a complete shocker! I kept guessing everyone except who it actually was." 4-star review from Amazon


8 comments:

  1. Ooh, creepy! lol You're freaking me out. ;-) Thought-provoking post, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post, Tracey. Criminal law had taught me a lot, including that we never really know who the killer among us is....

      Delete
  2. Yes, count me among the creeped-out! My normally paranoid self is going to be doing even more looking over my shoulder than normal! :-) But you're right, the mind can takes us places we never thoughts we'd go, both figuratively and literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah,

      I've learned that it is always good to be cautious. But with that in mind, it is through our imagination that our fiction stems. As long as we continue to know the difference between make-believe and reality, we and society are safe. I have however heard that there are writers who were saved from their "inclinations" by their fiction. As long as there are stories to be told, there will always be an antagonist and a protagonist. It just depends on which POV you want to use to decide of your main character is a hero or an antihero.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, Tina! Very thought and chill provoking post. Then again, I've always said it's amazing only mankind could inflict the kind of horrors upon it's own kind. No other creature on the planet is as likely to commit the kinds of premeditated cruelties against one of it's fellow creatures. Thanks for the illuminating post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I often wonder if this has to do with our genetic make up; however, I believe there are apes that also kill each other, and some animals do engage in cannibalism too. It is a mystery as to why humankind does what it does. That being said, the best way to stay safe is to know that everyone has the potential to be and do evil; just as we all have the potential to do great good.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenette. I am always surprised how a post can simply morph into something. :)

      Delete